Vocabulary ultimately is the words that we know in our language. It is the words we must know to communicate. Vocabulary is needed for listening, reading, speaking, and writing.
Why is it important??
- Vocabulary is crucial for reading comprehension. It helps us make connections. If you don't know what the words mean that you are reading, how can you understand it? Kids use vocabulary they know to make sense of the words they read.
- Vocabulary is what our language is built upon. It helps us express ourselves. It also helps us to expand our knowledge.
- Vocabulary gives us the ability to grow as a person, with knowledge, and improve communication.
For more information, please click on the links below.
Picture from Vocabulary Challenge, The New York Times
- Vocabulary. Reading Rockets. (2020, October 16). Retrieved July 30, 2022, from https://www.readingrockets.org/teaching/reading-basics/vocabulary
- Cunningham, P. M., & Allington, R. L. (2016). Classrooms that work: They can all read and write. Pearson.
- Basit, N., & engineering, N. B. A. sophomore in. (2021, November 24). 15 reasons why vocabulary is important. Curious Desire. Retrieved July 30, 2022, from http://curiousdesire.com/reasons-why-vocabulary-is-important/