Zucchini, Cheese and Herb Fritters
From: Gourmet, April 2000
For Fritter Mixture:
- About 2 Cups Safflower Oil
- About 2 Cups Olive Oil
- Accompaniment: 8oz Plain Yogurt
Make Zucchini Batter:
- Stir together zucchini and salt, then drain in a colander set over a bowl, 1 hour.
- Stir together zucchini and remaining fritter ingredients. Season well with freshly ground black pepper. Let mixture stand 15 minutes.
- Heat enough of frying oils to measure 3/4 inch in a deep 12-inch skillet over moderately high heat until a deep-fat thermometer registers 350 deg. F
- Spoon heaping tablespoons of fritter mixture into oils and fry in small batches without crowding, turning fritters, until golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Transfer fritters with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and return oil to 350 deg. F between batches. Serve hot.